Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Coffee Snobbiness

Like all beverages, coffee can be awful or wonderful. The Hampton Inn in Atlanta had some of the worst coffee I have ever experienced. Its like they went to a factory that already makes bad coffee and swept the floor to get their product. Add white sugar and powdered creamer, serve in a small styrofoam cup and let the torture begin. You would have to be in Antarctica for this coffee to have any benefit. (How good coffee tastes is inversely proportional to the temperature outside). Luckily, the new gps guidance systems in cars these days have searchable databases and I quickly found a Starbucks nearby. In a pinch, McDonald's coffee is actually drinkable when real coffee is unavailable. At home, I use French Roast purchased Sam's (surprisingly good) then add about 1/4 part Starbucks espresso. Freshly ground of course. A thermal carafe is essential, the heating plates on most coffee makers render the brew undrinkable in about 20 minutes. I use only natural, unrefined sugar. The molasses adds a smooth creamy sweetness the white stuff leaves out. When forced to use white sugar, its like going from bottled water to tap water...you can really taste the chemicals. Finally, top it off with some half and half or condensed milk. Milk is too thin and you have to add too much to get the effect, disrupting the chemistry. I will now pause for a sip of perfect coffee on a gray winter's morning...

My wife correctly points out how grumpy I get when my morning coffee isn't just right. What can I say? I'm a coffee snob.

No comments:

Post a Comment